Six Nations: England call up Elliot Daly and Joel Tomkins as cover for France showdown
Two uncapped drafted in for Twickenham showdown
Sunday 17 February 2013
Two uncapped outside backs, the versatile Elliot Daly of Wasps and the Saracens outside centre Joel Tomkins, have been called into the England squad for this week's Six Nations meeting with France at Twickenham.
Daly will act as injury cover for the Northampton full-back Ben Foden while Tomkins replaces Jonathan Joseph of London Irish, who is struggling with foot trouble. Another Saracens player, the flanker Will Fraser, was summoned for a second stint of training-field duty because of the continuing absence of Ben Morgan, the Gloucester No 8, with an ankle injury sustained against Scotland.
The Harlequins' director of rugby, Conor O'Shea, felt a "world-class" performance from Danny Care made the difference in the 25-21 win over Leicester as Quins returned to the top of the Premiership table on Saturday. "You're fortunate to be able to watch those types of moments," he said.
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Arsenal player ratings vs Besiktas
Besiktas vs Arsenal player ratings: Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Calum Chambers - who was the Gunners star man?
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK