Seldon bout postponed by Tyson

Boxing
Click to follow
The Independent Online
The heavyweight fight between Mike Tyson, the World Boxing Council champion, and Bruce Seldon, the World Boxing Association title holder, scheduled for Las Vegas on Saturday week, has been postponed because Tyson is suffering from bronchitis.

The bout for Seldon's title will now be held in September or October, the promoter, Don King, said.

"For the past two or three weeks Mike has been suffering from bronchitis. It's probably a virus," said Dr Robert Voy, the Las Vegas doctor who has been treating Tyson. "Progress has been slow. He's recovering but, in my opinion, he's not ready for a heavyweight championship fight in the next 10 days."

Tyson had been scheduled to work-out in front of Voy, who said the fighter had been taking antibiotics and also had seen a pulmonary specialist. Both Horne and King insisted that when Tyson next fights it will still be against Seldon at the MGM Grand.

"Mike wants to fight Seldon," Horne said. "There's no question, he's his next opponent." King added: "Seldon is Mike's next opponent unequivocably."

The 13 July bout would have been Tyson's fourth fight since his release from prison in March 1995 after serving three years on a rape conviction.

Comments