Andy Murray: Briton defeats Nick Kyrgios at the Rogers Cup in 54 minutes
Murray prevailed 6-2, 6-2
Wednesday 06 August 2014
Andy Murray made light work of Nick Kyrgios as he cruised into the third round of the Rogers Cup in Toronto with a 6-2 6-2 victory over the Australian.
Kyrgios produced his career highlight by knocking Rafael Nadal out of Wimbledon earlier in the summer but he was unable to dent Murray's challenge in the Canadian capital.
Murray dominated the match with his serve, producing seven aces in the two sets to book a clash with Richard Gasquet in the next round.
It was Murray's first match since failing to defend his Wimbledon title with a last-eight exit from the All England Club last month.
The 27-year-old British number one is on a Rogers Cup quarter-final collision course with Novak Djokovic should he progress in his debut hardcourt tournament of the season.
The event offers his main preparation before the US Open begins on August 25.
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Robin van Persie says it's 'still possible' for Manchester United to win the Premier League title this season, but admits it will be 'very hard'
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Lionel Messi transfer news: Manuel Pellegrini dismisses £200m Manchester City move for Barcelona star as 'rumours and only rumours'
Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services