Oh no, not again...Wimbledon's marathon men play in first round
Andy Murray described it on Twitter as "the most amazing thing I've seen in tennis", while Patrick McEnroe, former player and brother of John, tweeted: "Since I haven't been able to get my big brother on Twitter yet, I will say it: 'You cannot be serious'!"
The news that had the tennis world rubbing its eyes in disbelief was the draw for the Wimbledon championships, which start on Monday. Twelve months after John Isner beat Nicolas Mahut at the All England Club in the longest match ever played – it lasted 11 hours and five minutes and took three days to complete – the two men were drawn together again in this year's first round.
Last night, mathematicians put the odds against the players meeting at the same stage of the tournament for the second year in succession at 14,000-1. "It's almost cruel," Isner said after learning of the draw. "I joked actually with Nic a week ago. I texted him: 'Watch us play first round.' He said: 'No man, that's not cool!' I've already spoken to him today. We were supposed to practise tomorrow, but we're not now. It's too weird.
"We might do dinner. We're really good friends now. Obviously we both want to win, but we're going to enjoy it and laugh at it at the same time."
Mahut was in the Wimbledon locker room when he heard the news. "It's just crazy. It's funny because last week I had talked with my coach about playing him again here and we said it would be impossible to play him in the first round," he said.
Isner, a 26-year-old American, and Mahut, a 29-year-old Frenchman, barely knew each before they met last year but have become close since sharing such an extraordinary piece of sporting history. The match, which Isner won 70-68 in the final set, took four-and-a-half hours more to complete than the previous longest contest. It broke a host of other records, including the longest single set (eight hours, 11 minutes) and the most aces in a match and by an individual (Isner finished with 112 and Mahut 105).
Mahut and Isner were on opposite sides of the net in a mixed-doubles match in Australia in January but have not played each other in a singles match since their Wimbledon meeting. Last year's match was held on Court 18, where there is now a plaque commemorating the contest. Next week's reunion, due to be played on Tuesday, is more likely to be played on either Centre Court or Court One, such will be the worldwide interest.
Croatian player Ivo Karlovic tweeted: "That should be the only match of the day on that court. Unless they wanna waste three days again."
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent