Roddick quickly finds feet on 'happiest day'
Wednesday 10 June 2009
Andy Roddick loves his annual visit to west London. "Coming from clay to grass is one of the happiest days of my year," the world No 6 said at Queen's yesterday after winning his opening match at the Aegon Championships. "I don't have to make a lot of adjustments to my game to play on this surface."
Roddick, who has won the title here four times, needed only 55 minutes to beat Belgium's Kristof Vliegen 6-1, 6-4. He served 11 aces and no double faults, did not have a break point against him and played with all the confidence of a man who feels at home on grass.
"I'm playing a lot better now than in years past," Roddick said when asked about his hopes for the grass-court season. "I've been getting deeper into tournaments more consistently and I do love this surface."
The American's Davis Cup colleague, James Blake, whose mother is English, beat Ivan Ljubicic 6-2, 7-6, while Gaël Monfils needed a deciding set tie-break to overcome Andrey Golubev, of Kazakhstan.
Andy Murray, the top seed, who had a first-round bye, plays his second-round match today against the Italian Andreas Seppi. Murray and Lleyton Hewitt were beaten in the second round of the doubles last night, losing 6-4, 6-3 to Lukasz Kubot and Oliver Marach.
In the Aegon Classic at Edgbaston Anne Keothavong, the British No 1, got off to a winning start, beating Sweden's Sofia Arvidsson 6-2, 6-2. She now plays India's Sania Mirza, who beat Tatiana Poutchek 6-1, 6-2.
* Ana Ivanovic has parted company with her coach, Craig Kardon, after only four months. During the grass-court season she will revert to working with the Adidas team of coaches headed by Sven Groeneveld and Darren Cahill. Scott Byrnes will continue to work as the Serb's full-time strength and conditioning coach.
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
CM Punk 'never ever ever' going to return to WWE (so he probably will)
Manchester United transfer news: Completed summer deals
James Rodriguez joins Real Madrid: World Cup star completes £63m move
- 1 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains