Serena Williams included on Indian Wells entry list as 13-year boycott could end after watching Nelson Mandela film
Williams admitted that she has thought about ending her absence from the March tournament having purposely avoided it after alleged heckling and racial abuse
Thursday 23 January 2014
The chances of Serena Williams ending her boycott of Indian Wells appear to have increased after the world number one appeared on the entry list for the tournament in March.
The Premier mandatory event in the Californian desert is one of the biggest tournaments outside of the grand slams but neither of the Williams sisters have played there since 2001, when they were subjected to heckling and, allegedly, racist abuse.
The crowd turned against the Americans after Venus pulled out of a scheduled semi-final clash with Serena, who was then booed during the final against Kim Clijsters.
They have resisted all calls to put the past behind them, but Serena revealed last week she had considered the issue after watching the Nelson Mandela biopic Long Walk To Freedom.
She said: "It actually crossed my mind a couple of days ago, after I saw the movie. I thought about it."
Tournament director Steve Simon is not taking anything for granted but he is hoping Serena will end her 13-year absence.
Simon said on bnpparibasopen.com: "While it is too soon to know whether she will play or not, we are pleased to see Serena's name on the entry list.
"Based on her comments at the Australian Open, we know playing in the tournament is something she is thinking about."
Venus' name is conspicuously absent, though, so it appears the sisters may be divided about a possible return.
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
Luis Nani exit: The curious case of the Manchester United winger
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women