Wimbledon Diary: Judy Murray has other irons in the fire this year
Wednesday 02 July 2014
Silver linings for Judy Murray: Jamie is still going in the mixed doubles and Maia Lumsden, her next Scottish big thing, is alive and kicking in the juniors. Murray Snr partnered the Australian Casey Dellacqua into the third round of the mixed doubles while Lumsden, the 16-year-old Glaswegian wild card who trains in Spain as a young Andy Murray once did, is through to the third round of the girls’ singles.
Players learn their place
Eugenie Bouchard may be named after a princess but in Wimbledon’s forelock-tugging hierarchy she and any other player still ranks some way beneath royalty proper. Bouchard and Angelique Kerber were late for their quarter-final engagement over on No 1 Court after they found their way barred by security guards as Prince William and Kate made their regal progress to Centre Court.
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain