Wrist injury ends Del Potro defence
Thursday 20 May 2010
Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro has ruled out defending his US Open title this year after having wrist surgery. "If all goes well, I'd return after the US Open," said Del Potro, who had an operation on his troublesome right wrist in America early this month. The US Open starts on 30 August.
"The tournament is and always will be very special for me, all my life, but I don't want to rush things," the 21-year-old world No 5 said on his return to Buenos Aires.
Meanwhile, Britain's Elena Baltacha managed just three games of her second-round match at the Internationaux de Strasbourg against Anastasia Rodionova yesterday before being forced to retire. Baltacha was 2-1 up in the first set when she called a halt to proceedings because of a back injury.
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
sportNapoli 2 Arsenal 0: Gunners must now face either Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona in knock-out stages
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
filmFilm producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
musicThe 21-year-old beat Ella Eyre and Chlöe Howl to win the honour
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial