Wrist injury ends Del Potro defence
Thursday 20 May 2010
Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro has ruled out defending his US Open title this year after having wrist surgery. "If all goes well, I'd return after the US Open," said Del Potro, who had an operation on his troublesome right wrist in America early this month. The US Open starts on 30 August.
"The tournament is and always will be very special for me, all my life, but I don't want to rush things," the 21-year-old world No 5 said on his return to Buenos Aires.
Meanwhile, Britain's Elena Baltacha managed just three games of her second-round match at the Internationaux de Strasbourg against Anastasia Rodionova yesterday before being forced to retire. Baltacha was 2-1 up in the first set when she called a halt to proceedings because of a back injury.
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Dear 'The Sun', breast cancer isn't sexy
- 4 Teacher shows sex tape featuring herself to pupils during class by mistake
- 5 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised