Torreilles secures draw for Paris

Click to follow
A late try by Pascal Bomati and Patrick Torreilles' goal secured Paris St-Germain a 24-24 draw against Oldham at Charlety Stadium yesterday. A crowd of 6,327 saw Paris gain their third point in three Super League games when Oldham's full-back, Paul Atcheson, failed to tidy up a Patrick Entat kick and the right winger nipped in to score.

Paris took the lead thanks to an individual try from the French international full-back, Laurent Lucchese, but Oldham scored two tries in four minutes late in the first half to take a 14-4 interval lead.

Oldham's scrum-half, Francis Maloney, added to the French side's problems with an individual try down the blind side straight from a scrum seven minutes into the second half but PSG showed plenty of spirit, hitting back through their second row, Didier Cabestany, from an Entat kick.

Oldham stretched away again with a try from Andrew Patmore, but then Entat scored himself after an excellent handling move.

Torreilles converted and then added a penalty when Oldham's loose forward, Howard Hill, was sent to the sin-bin for a professional foul six minutes from time whereupon Paris made full use of the extra man.

Workington suffered another heavy defeat at Derwent Park, this time 54-22 to Sheffield Eagles. The home side were in contention for an hour after they clawed their way back from a 20-2 deficit to be within only four points but the Eagles scored five tries in the final quarter to clinch victory as Workington ran out of steam.

Sheffield also made a flying start, with their centre Jean-Marc Garcia scoring two tries in the first 10 minutes. The five at the end were scored by Bright Sodje (his second), Ryan Sheridan, Mick Cook, Anthony Farrell and Andy Hay.

In the middle of those bursts, Workington scored two tries in the space of three minutes to drag them back into the match but they had a missed an opportunity after 60 minutes. Darren Carter was put through with two men on either side of him and only the full-back to beat, but was tackled and from then on Sheffield took control.