Leading article: Power to teach
Thursday 20 July 2006
Now that teenagers aged 14 to 16 are able to opt to be educated in further education (FE) colleges, lecturers are being confronted with the kind of difficult behaviour that previously only teachers in schools saw. So, it is right that the Government should legislate to give FE lecturers the power to restrain unruly children who need to be removed from the classroom or otherwise controlled. It was a anomaly that they were required to teach disaffected youngsters without being able to do so effectively. Lecturers need the same powers as teachers. When will the Government decide that they also need the same pay?
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading firms of Cha...
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A truly exciting opportunity has ari...
£22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A keen Graduate Structural Engineer with...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Graduate Data & Delivery Guru is required to...