Student finance: Crunch the numbers cleverly

A good head for figures is vital throughout your undergraduate years. Stephen Hoare is your guide to loans, grants, fees and Clearing

With the current standard tuition fee for an undergraduate degree priced at up to £9,000, the Government and universities offer students financial support to help offset the cost.

The good news is that most students will not have to pay tuition fees up front. The cost is covered by tuition fee loans, which do not have to be repaid until students graduate and are earning more than £21,000 per year.

Individuals can apply for a student loan from Student Finance England or its Welsh equivalent Student Finance Wales. SFE and SFW replaced the old Student Loans Company in 2012.

In Scotland, fees are met by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Britain's growing number of private universities are in a less privileged position. At the University of Buckingham, a private not-for-profit university, only half of the £12,000 annual tuition fee is eligible for a student loan, for example. However, since the university offers two-year undergraduate degrees, the overall cost is less than at most conventional universities and graduates can begin employment and start earning a year sooner.

Some private colleges offering degrees are not recognised by Student Finance England for the purposes of tuition fee loans. You will need to check with the college or university whether this is the case.

Maintenance loans and grants

On top of this, students can also apply for financial support in the form of a loan or a grant to help with living costs. Maintenance loans are available through Student Finance England and Student Finance Wales – see the websites for details.

Where a household income is less than £42,000, grants are given on a sliding scale, with students from lower income families receiving proportionately more. A grant is non-repayable.

Living costs include all of the expenditure associated with studying away from home, such as accommodation, food and drink, travel, textbooks and entertainment. The maintenance loan or grant is higher for universities in London than anywhere else in Britain to take into account the higher costs of travel and accommodation.

Students with disabilities, including dyslexia and dyspraxia, can qualify for university administered funds that will enable them to buy specially modified IT equipment or, in some cases, hire a learning support assistant.

Lower income households

Since universities are permitted to charge up to a maximum of £9,000, they are also obliged to redistribute a proportion of their tuition fees income to help support students from lower income households. The Office for Fair Access (OFFA), a government body, has set up access agreements for each university under which funding is channelled into student bursaries. Details and individual amounts are left to universities themselves to administer.

Universities also take part in another government initiative, the National Scholarships Programme. Aimed at low income students, the NSP is funded by the Government and universities to make one-year-only awards of up to £3,000.

Universities may choose to distribute the money in different ways. Plymouth University has enhanced the government contribution to the NSP scheme in order to enable more students to benefit. Eligible students receive £1,000 in cash in their first year and a £2,000 credit on their cashless 'campus card', which they can use to pay for accommodation, catering and even childcare.

Many universities target bursaries at students from lower income households who are also eligible for maintenance grants. The University of Nottingham offers a core bursary of up to £3,000.

"If a student's household income is less than £42,000, they will receive a bursary on a sliding scale, ranging from £3,000 if the income is less than £15,000 up to £750 at the top end," says Alison Barnard, Nottingham University financial support supervisor.

Going through Clearing

There is a lot to think about in a short space of time at Clearing. Once a student goes into Clearing, having failed to achieve the grades needed to take up a conditional offer by their first and insurance choice university, it is vital for them to check that their student loan application and their maintenance payments can be transferred to a new institution and that Student Finance England or Student Finance Wales are kept informed of changes in circumstance.

Finance is always a key part of the decision-making at Clearing because students need to ensure that their revised choice of a degree and institution does not leave them financially worse off. The statutory funding a student is entitled to doesn't change, unless they're looking to switch from a university in London where maintenance loans are set higher.

"If you knew you were going to get a bursary or a scholarship from your first choice of university then that doesn't move with you," says Barnard.. "Students need to do a bit of research into what funding – if any – is available when they are offered a place at Clearing."

Clearing helplines will refer students to information about finance on their website or by putting them through to student services. Thanks to the Ucas tracking system, a student's basic entitlement is calculated automatically. "Once the offer has been made and accepted, Ucas puts our details on to their system," says Bev Woodhams, head of central recruitment at the University of Greenwich. "The system flags up different student backgrounds and demographics so that we can tell if a student is eligible for the National Scholarship Programme."

Where to find advice

University websites contain a lot of information on student finance, but it is always advisable to get the up-to-date picture on available bursaries from the student services department, which will staff phone lines during the Clearing period.

University Clearing helplines will refer students once they've discussed courses available, and before they have confirmed their offer or made a provisional offer will refer them on to student services, usually by transferring the call. In this way, the student is armed with as much information as possible to make an informed decision.

Parents are an important factor in the conversations and some universities have set up dedicated parents' helplines. "Every student tends to be in a different situation," says Kathryn Rees, operations manager for the University of South Wales. "This is why we advise students and their families to come and see us on campus before they make their final decision. We also have a parents' helpline as it helps to talk to them direct."

The campus branch of the National Union of Students can also help with information about student employment opportunities, as many students now rely on part-time employment to help pay their way through university.

Arts and Entertainment
The Doctor and Clara have their first real heart to heart since he regenerated in 'Deep Breath'
Life and Style
Apple showed no sign of losing its talent for product launches with the new, slightly larger iPhone 6 making headlines
techSecurity breaches and overhyped start-ups dominated a year in which very little changed (save the size of your phone)
Arts and Entertainment
Jamie Oliver
filmTV chef Jamie Oliver turned down role in The Hobbit
The official police photograph of Dustin Diamond taken after he was arrested in Wisconsin
peopleDownfall of the TV star charged with bar stabbing
Arts and Entertainment
Jeremy Clarkson, left, and Richard Hammond upset the locals in South America
tvReview: Top Gear team flee Patagonia as Christmas special reaches its climax in the style of Butch and Sundance
Ashley Barnes of Burnley scores their second goal
footballMan City vs Burnley match report
Arts and Entertainment
Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca alongside Harrison Ford's Han Solo in 'Star Wars'
Arts and Entertainment
Man of action: Christian Bale stars in Exodus: Gods and Kings
Arts and Entertainment
Tracy Emin's 1998 piece 'My Bed' on display at Christie's
artOne expert claims she did not
Ernesto Che Guevara and Fidel Castro, right, met at Havana Golf Club in 1962 to mock the game
newsFidel Castro ridiculed the game – but now investment in leisure resort projects is welcome
Hackers revealed Oscar-winning actress Lawrence was paid less than her male co-stars in American Hustle
Arts and Entertainment
Clueless? Locked-door mysteries are the ultimate manifestation of the cerebral detective story
booksAs a new collection of the genre’s best is published, its editor explains the rules of engagement
Robin van Persie is blocked by Hugo Lloris
footballTottenham vs Manchester United match report
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
iJobs Job Widget
iJobs Student

Ashdown Group: 1st Line IT Support - Surrey - £24,000

£20000 - £24000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Graduate IT Support Helpd...

Recruitment Genius: Graduate Audit Assistant

£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Audit Graduate Opportunities ar...

Guru Careers: Graduate Marketing Analyst / Online Marketing Exec (SEO / PPC)

£18 - 24k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Marketing Analyst / Online Marketing...


£20000 - £30000 per annum + OTE £50k: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 bus...

Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

Day In a Page

A timely reminder of the bloody anniversary we all forgot

A timely reminder of the bloody anniversary we all forgot

Who remembers that this week we enter the 150th anniversary year of the end of the American Civil War, asks Robert Fisk
Homeless Veterans appeal: Former soldiers pay their respects to a friend who also served

Homeless Veterans appeal

Former soldiers pay their respects to a friend who also served
Downfall of Dustin 'Screech' Diamond, the 'Saved By The Bell' star charged with bar stabbing

Scarred by the bell

The downfall of the TV star charged with bar stabbing
Why 2014 was a year of technological let-downs

Why 2014 was a year of technological let-downs

Security breaches and overhyped start-ups dominated a year in which very little changed (save the size of your phone)
Cuba's golf revolution: But will the revolutionary nation take 'bourgeois' game to its heart?

Will revolutionary Cuba take 'bourgeois' golf to its heart?

Fidel Castro ridiculed the game – but now investment in leisure resort projects is welcome
The Locked Room Mysteries: As a new collection of the genre’s best is published, its editor Otto Penzler explains the rules of engagement

The Locked Room Mysteries

As a new collection of the genre’s best is published, its editor explains the rules of engagement
Amy Adams on playing painter Margaret Keane in Tim Burton's Big Eyes

How I made myself Keane

Amy Adams hadn’t wanted to take the role of artist Margaret Keane, because she’d had enough of playing victims. But then she had a daughter, and saw the painter in a new light
Ed Richards: Parting view of Ofcom chief. . . we hate jokes on the disabled

Parting view of Ofcom chief... we hate jokes on the disabled

Bad language once got TV viewers irate, inciting calls to broadcasting switchboards. But now there is a worse offender, says retiring head of the media watchdog, Ed Richards
A look back at fashion in 2014: Wear in review

Wear in review

A look back at fashion in 2014
Ian Herbert: My 10 hopes for sport in 2015. Might just one of them happen?

Ian Herbert: My 10 hopes for sport in 2015

Might just one of them happen?
War with Isis: The West needs more than a White Knight

The West needs more than a White Knight

Despite billions spent on weapons, the US has not been able to counter Isis's gruesome tactics, says Patrick Cockburn
Return to Helmand: Private Davey Graham recalls the day he was shot by the Taliban

'The day I was shot by the Taliban'

Private Davey Graham was shot five times during an ambush in 2007 - it was the first, controversial photograph to show the dangers our soldiers faced in Helmand province
Revealed: the best and worst airlines for delays

Revealed: the best and worst airlines for delays

Many flyers are failing to claim compensation to which they are entitled, a new survey has found
The stories that defined 2014: From the Scottish independence referendum to the Ice Bucket Challenge, our writers voice their opinions

The stories that defined 2014

From the Scottish independence referendum to the Ice Bucket Challenge, our writers voice their opinions
Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations

Disaster looming? Now you know where to head...

Which British city has become the first to be awarded special 'resilience' status by the UN?