iQuiz students have all the answers: Brightest book place in final
Paul Bignell is an Assistant News Editor at The Independent. He has previously been the acting News Editor of the i Paper, a home news reporter for The Independent for one year and a reporter for the Independent on Sunday for six years.
Thursday 21 November 2013
If there's one thing students enjoy more than a few quiet pints, it's flexing their intellectual muscles at the same time.
The sound of sharpening pencils could be heard in 19 university cities up and down the country on Tuesday night as hundreds of teams pitted their wits against each other in the qualifying rounds of the third student iQuiz. At stake, a place in the prestigious final, where the winners will scoop the top prize of a two-week tour of Europe, courtesy of Top Deck Travel.
Students have been swotting up for weeks, gorging themselves on news and information in past issues of the paper, to take on the intellectual might of i's resident quizmaster, Simon O'Hagan, in our very own version of University Challenge (but more fun and with a much less cantankerous quizmaster).
But why take our word for it? You can sample Simon's questions here – and see how you would fare against the nation's hope for the future.
For a gallery of the action, click here
- Manchester: Turquoise
- Teesside: You're a Quizard, Harry
- Leeds: Ya Say The Whole Thing
- Birmingham: Quiz it to me baby
- Bournemouth: Quizadillas
- Kings College London: Uke Rebels
- Exeter: The League of Exeterordinary Gentlemen
- Warwick: Quiz Teama Aguilera
- UEA: Nobody expects the Spanish in-quiz-ition
- Oxford: Cherwell A
- Newcastle: It's Doug's birthday
- Cardiff: Team Nathan
- Glasgow: Team Hosenbugler
- Sussex: Smartie Pints
- Southampton: Hips Don't Lie
- Hull: Lads night out
- Westminster: The Rugby Men
- Liverpool: Live and Let 'i'
- Kent: Pinball Quizzard
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, study suggests
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 One Direction: Louis Tomlinson launching his own record label, has already 'signed two acts'
£18000 - £27000 per annum + doe OTE £45K: SThree: SThree are always looking fo...
£18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are a recent psychology graduate ...
£17000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Largest Independent Motor D...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manag...