iQuiz students have all the answers: Brightest book place in final
Paul Bignell is an Assistant News Editor at The Independent. He has previously been the acting News Editor of the i Paper, a home news reporter for The Independent for one year and a reporter for the Independent on Sunday for six years.
Thursday 21 November 2013
If there's one thing students enjoy more than a few quiet pints, it's flexing their intellectual muscles at the same time.
The sound of sharpening pencils could be heard in 19 university cities up and down the country on Tuesday night as hundreds of teams pitted their wits against each other in the qualifying rounds of the third student iQuiz. At stake, a place in the prestigious final, where the winners will scoop the top prize of a two-week tour of Europe, courtesy of Top Deck Travel.
Students have been swotting up for weeks, gorging themselves on news and information in past issues of the paper, to take on the intellectual might of i's resident quizmaster, Simon O'Hagan, in our very own version of University Challenge (but more fun and with a much less cantankerous quizmaster).
But why take our word for it? You can sample Simon's questions here – and see how you would fare against the nation's hope for the future.
For a gallery of the action, click here
- Manchester: Turquoise
- Teesside: You're a Quizard, Harry
- Leeds: Ya Say The Whole Thing
- Birmingham: Quiz it to me baby
- Bournemouth: Quizadillas
- Kings College London: Uke Rebels
- Exeter: The League of Exeterordinary Gentlemen
- Warwick: Quiz Teama Aguilera
- UEA: Nobody expects the Spanish in-quiz-ition
- Oxford: Cherwell A
- Newcastle: It's Doug's birthday
- Cardiff: Team Nathan
- Glasgow: Team Hosenbugler
- Sussex: Smartie Pints
- Southampton: Hips Don't Lie
- Hull: Lads night out
- Westminster: The Rugby Men
- Liverpool: Live and Let 'i'
- Kent: Pinball Quizzard
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
£20000 - £24000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Graduate IT Support Helpd...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Audit Graduate Opportunities ar...
£18 - 24k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Marketing Analyst / Online Marketing...
£20000 - £30000 per annum + OTE £50k: SThree: SThree are a global FTSE 250 bus...