Postgraduate studies 'only for the rich'
Tuesday 04 June 2013
Postgraduate education has become like an "exclusive golf club" that is open only to the very rich, new research will warn on Wednesday.
Studying for a qualification beyond a degree is now out of reach of most people, says the report by the CentreForum think-tank, and raises concerns about the current funding system for those who want to continue their education.
It condemns the Government's loans scheme open to postgraduate students as "breathtakingly inadequate" and calls for the system to be overhauled.
"Postgraduate education in Britain is like an exclusive golf club," it argues. "Home graduates who lack the means to pay course fees upfront need not apply. There is no undergraduate style loans system to ensure fair access, and only very limited funding available.
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
- 1 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 4 Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45 after suffering from cancer
- < Previous
- Next >
£25000 per annum + OTE £40,000: SThree: Orgtel are seeking Graduate Trainee Re...