When most of us think of Easter Island, or Rapa Nui, we think of moai, the 887 magnificent statues that guard its shores. But the mystery of BBC4's Easter Island: Mysteries of a Lost World wasn't how these monoliths were made, or how they were moved into place (aliens, obviously) or even whether the ancient Rapa Nui people were responsible for their own decline, it's why the myths have persisted for so long.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Tuesday 06 June 2006
Could Africa be the next India? British consumers could be as likely to find themselves talking to Cairo as Calcutta by 2010 as Africa continues to grow as a global outsourcing centre, experts claim.
Friday 03 February 2006
Friday 14 October 2005
Thursday 04 August 2005
Wednesday 03 August 2005
Wednesday 09 February 2005
Frank is a young man with an anthropology degree from Lampeter and the interpersonal skills of a self-destructive nerd from central casting.
Tuesday 08 February 2005
Wednesday 19 January 2005
Thirteen metres beneath the streets of Rome, archaeologists have discovered what people are calling "a new Pompeii" that has been buried for nearly two millennia.
Saturday 17 July 2004
One of South America's most important, and mysterious, archaeological sites is under "great threat", a leading conservationist has warned.
Wednesday 21 April 2004
Sunday 03 August 2003
Saturday 26 July 2003
Thursday 12 June 2003
Thursday 17 April 2003
Tuesday 08 April 2003
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations