It's time to reappraise the artist's work in the context of his home, says Charles Darwent.
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Monday 11 February 2008
Friday 18 January 2008
The conventions of the musical biopic are ripe for ridicule, but it would take a much smarter, subtler parody than Walk Hard to nail them. John C Reilly stars as Dewey Cox, overcoming a traumatic accident in his Southern boyhood to take America by storm with his powerhouse rock'*'roll. As his fortunes seesaw through haircuts, drugs, wives and children we count off the biopic sincerities of Ray and Walk the Line being wildly spoofed, with rock's other famous crash-and-burn victims (eg Brian Wilson, Elvis) thrown in for good measure.
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders