When it was announced that the Gay Hussar restaurant in Soho was to be closed up and sold by its owners, Corus Hotels, its dedicated clientele were disconsolate. How, they asked in various newspapers and magazine columns, could this monument to Hungarian food and late 20th-century Labour politics be lost to the property spivs?
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Friday 25 September 2009
Lord Mandelson should be forced to face questions from MPs because of his growing influence over government policy, the Commons Speaker, John Bercow, has said.
Sunday 13 September 2009
Sunday 23 August 2009
Peter Mandelson left hospital in good spirits yesterday after undergoing an operation for an enlarged prostate gland.
Sunday 02 August 2009
Tuesday 28 July 2009
Three years ago the Government decided to merge the old Commission for Racial Equality, the Disability Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunities Commission in a brand new body, the Equalities and Human Rights Commission. The argument was that this quango would inaugurate a fresh era of opportunity for the dispossessed and marginalised. Three years later, that dream lies in tatters as the body's accounts have been rejected by the National Audit Office, six of its commissioners have resigned and its chairman, Trevor Phillips, is widely criticised as not up to the job.
Tuesday 21 July 2009
Wednesday 15 July 2009
Lord Mandelson has admitted that Britain faces a decade of public spending cuts even if Labour wins the next election.
Tuesday 30 June 2009
Sunday 28 June 2009
Michael Jackson’s death may bring back painful memories for Dominic Lawson.
Monday 08 June 2009
Monday 08 June 2009
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis