Where's hot: Victoria Falls, Zambia
Taking the temperature of travel
Friday 04 May 2012
The rainy season is drawing to a close in Zambia, with temperatures dipping to a still balmy 30C.
Clear skies make this an excellent time for wildlife-spotting but, more dramatically, the recent rains have given cause for Victoria Falls to live up to their name of Mosi-oa-Tunya, "the Smoke that Thunders".
When rainfall swells the 108m Zambezi River cascade, the spray that shoots upwards can rise up to 400m, visible up to 50km away.
During a full moon, a "moonbow" is also often visible over the spray, adding another mesmeric dimension to this natural wonder.
Tongabezi Lodge (00 260 213 327450; tongabezi.com), on the banks of the river just upstream of the falls, offers double rooms from US$930 (£620), full board.
- 1 Asteroid nine times the size of the QE2 liner to sail pass Earth
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 British business: We need to stay in the EU - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 4 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...