Pilot arrested on drink charge
Tuesday 10 November 2009
After an hour of sitting on the runway, more than 100 United Airlines passengers were told to disembark yesterday because the pilot was "sick" – only later to find he had been arrested.
Last night the Metropolitan Police confirmed that a 51-year-old pilot, who had been due to fly the Boeing 767 to Chicago, was arrested at Heathrow on "suspicion of exceeding the prescribed alcohol limit". He has been breath-tested and released on bail.
Last night United Airlines said: "Safety is our highest priority and the pilot has been removed from service while we co-operate with the authorities and conduct a full investigation."
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 2 I might be an MP, but that doesn't stop me fighting sexism with my breasts
- 3 Martha Stewart accuses Snoop Dogg of 'smoking for four hours' during Justin Bieber Roast
- 4 Google April Fools': company unveils backwards search engine and huggable digital assistant
- 5 April Fools' Day 2015: The best hoax news stories from around the internet
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Wakefield Deal...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: our .NET Developers / Software Dev...
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...