Tories open up 22% lead in new poll
Support for Labour has plunged by 10 points in the past month, and the party is now running neck and neck with the Liberal Democrats, according to a poll released today.
The dramatic slump in Labour's fortunes has allowed the Conservatives to pull 22 points clear, Ipsos Mori found.
While support for all the main parties has declined in the aftermath of the MPs' expenses scandal, Labour appears to have fared worst by far.
The Ipsos Mori poll put the Tories on 40 per cent, down one since the same survey last month.
But Labour was down 10 points, putting the party on the same support as the Lib Dems, who were down four on 18 per cent.
At the same time, support for minor parties has doubled in the past month to 22 per cent, including 7 per cent for the UK Independence Party, 6 per cent for the Greens and 4 per cent for the British National Party.
* Ipsos Mori interviewed 1,001 British adults by telephone between 29 and 31 May, weighting data to match the profile of the population.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...