Countyfile: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
It's all wings, wheels, water and walks along the South Coast
Kate Simon is the Travel Correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. She was Travel Editor of The Independent on Sunday from 2005 to 2011. Kate is also the co-founder of Little Black Book Creative (www.lbbcreative.co.uk), which offers editorial services, media relations consultancy and travel-writing training.
Sunday 08 April 2012
Southampton celebrates its seafaring history this Tuesday with the opening of SeaCity Museum (023-8083 3007; seacitymuseum.co.uk; admission £8.50). It's a timely launch, 100 years to the day when Titanic set sail from the Hampshire port, and the connection is explored with exhibits including an interactive scale model of the ship, while other displays tell the story of Southampton's important maritime heritage. Later this year, the new Mary Rose Museum (023-9281 2931; maryrose.org) is set to open in nearby Portsmouth, in tandem with the final stage of the ship's hull restoration.
* Fifty vehicles from the James Bond movies will be on show at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu (01590 612345; beaulieu.co.uk; admission from £17.10) until December to mark half a century of film-making about the super-spy.
* If you're serious about transport, head to the Farnborough International Airshow (0844 858 6752; farnborough.com; admission £35 in advance), which takes off on 14 and 15 July. Aerobatic displays will fill the sky, while on the ground pilots and crew will be on hand to show you around vintage and modern aircraft.
* Spring is the subject of celebration at Exbury Gardens (023-8089 1203; exbury.co.uk; admission £12.50) in the New Forest. The Rothschild Collection of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias, and rare trees and shrubs have just reached full bloom, a moment marked with a special display of botanical art, "Four Seasons Art Exhibition", which runs until 10 June at the garden's Five Arrows Gallery.
* Across the Solent, the Isle of Wight Walking Festival (01983 823070; isleofwightwalkingfestival.co.uk; various prices) sets off from 5-20 May. The island-wide programme includes guided and self-guided walks. Highlights include the Fossil Hunting Guided Tour, which follows in the footprints of dinosaurs, and the Chabydis Passage, a race against the tide. Or you could sign up for the sponsored Firewalk – a 20ft dash across red-hot wood embers.
* Back on the mainland, the spotlight falls on Alresford on 20 May, when the Alresford Watercress Festival (watercressfestival.org) celebrates the latest crop of the super-food for which the town is renowned.
* And you've just time to catch the end of the Lego Mania exhibition at Milestones Museum (01256 477766; hants.gov.uk/milestones; family of four £25) in Basingstoke, which ends next Sunday 15 April.
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...