The 10 Best leafy walks
Late October is the perfect time to see Britain’s woods and forests in their autumnal glory – here are 10 top routes
1. Blackbush & Twenty Acre Shaw, Bromley
Go for a leafy ramble in this ancient woodland, close to London, and see berries ripening and leaves browning.
2. Leith Hill, Dorking, Surrey
At this, the highest point in South-east England, you can look out on to the hills and the glorious views towards London and the English Channel.
3. Brede High Woods, Cripps Corner, East Sussex
Expect a gorgeous sweep of colour and species such as the great crested newt, brook lamprey, dormouse, badger and fallow deer.
4. Beacon Hill Wood, Shepton Mallet, Somerset
You might need your hiking gear for this one as you climb up ridges and down gullies while exploring springs and glades.
5. Credenhill Park, Credenhill, Herefordshire
This is littered with tranquil paths and early purple orchids. Hike to the top of the Iron Age hill fort to see views across Wales.
6. Swineshead & Spanoak woods, Kimbolton, Bedfordshire
Oak, ash and field maple dominate the landscape, while woodpeckers have also been seen here.
7. Carvers Rocks, Swadlincote, Derbyshire
A broad range of habitats meet in this unusual valley. This site has one of the last patches of lowland heath in Derbyshire.
8. Tyrrels Wood, Pulham Market, Norfolk
Vast veteran oak trees spring up in unlikely locations and people are few and far between in this ancient woodland site.
9. Hackfall, Grewelthorpe, North Yorkshire
See the autumn glory of Hackfall, located at the bottom of a 350ft gorge. Wander leisurely through beech, sycamore, ash and lime.
10. Lumb Brook Valley, Warrington, Cheshire
Four distinct woods offer plenty of shrubs and flowers. This large wooded valley goes from conifers to oaks and rhododendron.
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...