Cultural life: Mike Figgis, film director
'I'm taking a deep breath before committing to the Dostoevsky biography'
Friday 28 June 2013
I enjoyed much of the Liberace film Behind the Candelabra. I find, however, that I am more interested in older films that I have never seen. I finally saw All About Eve and some crazy Louis Malle films. There's so much brilliant archive material around, so it's hard to get really excited about much of the newer stuff.
I liked the Gillian Anderson thriller The Fall, which is like Spiral. I also liked the documentary on the last days of Anne Boleyn.
Biographies of Robert Mitchum, Gabriele d'Annunzio and Anthony Powell. White Noise by Don DeLillo. I'm taking a deep breath before committing to the Dostoevsky biography. I mostly enjoyed Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
I had a pair of old Leak valve amps rebuilt and have gone back into my vinyl collection, which is mainly jazz from the 1920s to the late 1960s. Also my dad's 78 collection, which I inherited.
I saw the Bowie show at the V&A, which I thought was a bit of a mess – how many pairs of trousers can you get excited about?
Mike Figgis's new feature film, 'Suspension of Disbelief', has its UK premiere on 6 July at the East End Film Festival, London E1 (eastendfilm festival.com), which runs until 10 July
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world