Picture preview: Other Worlds
Tuesday 15 May 2012
A new art exhibition at the gallery at Flannels department store in Leeds explores the landscape of Russia and former Communist satellites in the post-peristroika era.
Juxtaposing images of beauty and brutality to create a portrait of a world still in flux, the selection of photographs straddles a deep-rooted tradition, the promise of the future and the still visible shadow of the iron curtain.
Despite the diversity of work being exhibited, there is a commonality and a pervading stillness running through the selection, which has a reflective quality.
Images such as the face at a frozen window (above) tell stories of these other worlds through sensitive, yet bold visual statements.
Other Worlds, The Gallery at Flannels, Leeds from 17 May to 15 July,
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >