Picture preview: Other Worlds
Tuesday 15 May 2012
A new art exhibition at the gallery at Flannels department store in Leeds explores the landscape of Russia and former Communist satellites in the post-peristroika era.
Juxtaposing images of beauty and brutality to create a portrait of a world still in flux, the selection of photographs straddles a deep-rooted tradition, the promise of the future and the still visible shadow of the iron curtain.
Despite the diversity of work being exhibited, there is a commonality and a pervading stillness running through the selection, which has a reflective quality.
Images such as the face at a frozen window (above) tell stories of these other worlds through sensitive, yet bold visual statements.
Other Worlds, The Gallery at Flannels, Leeds from 17 May to 15 July,
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark