Picture preview: Wanderlust by Rohit Chawla
Friday 06 July 2012
A new exhibition by Rohit Chawla opens at the Strand Gallery on Monday. Wanderlust is a collection of images taken by Chawla when she was living among the Rabari nomads from Gujarat.
“Far removed from the flamboyance and exaggerated showmanship of fashion performances on catwalks across the world, I found the natural spontaneous style of the Rabaris to be more beguiling and enticing to a somewhat jaded, fashion photographer’s eyes," Chawla says.
"I have tried to place them in isolation of their surroundings, and treated them like fashion portraits, in an attempt to give the pictures a contemporary sensibility. The effort being, to capture their natural intensity in an otherwise alien make shift studio set-up in an unforgiving desert."
A leading contemporary photographer, Chawla started his career and spent close to two decades in advertising at JWT before eventually moving out to start his own design and film production company.
Wanderlust by Rohit Chawla is at The Strand Gallery, Monday 9-15 July, www.thestrandgallery.co.uk
Arts & Ents blogs
Owen Howells is a DJ/producer who grew up in Australia but was born in the UK. He came back to the U...
Fancy seeing a play about serial killers? How about inviting a funeral director into your home for a...
There are a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refl...
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.