René Gruau: Illustrating Dior
Tuesday 09 November 2010
An exhibition of drawings by the fashion illustrator who realised Christian Dior’s designs in pen and ink opens at London’s Somerset House tomorrow.
René Gruau’s bold lines and fluid style was said to have been perfectly in tune with the spirit of Dior. He produced original illustrations of Dior perfumes, magazine sketches and haute couture designs.
The exhibition sheds light on the close friendship between Dior and Gruau as well as the influence the latter had on a whole generation of fashion illustrators.
Dior Illustrated: René Gruau and the Line of Beauty is at Somerset House from 10 November until 9 January 2011, somersethouse.org.uk
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong - the top ten most common mispronunciations
- 2 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 3 Son attacks Apple after it refuses to unlock his late mother’s iPad
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results