René Gruau: Illustrating Dior
Tuesday 09 November 2010
An exhibition of drawings by the fashion illustrator who realised Christian Dior’s designs in pen and ink opens at London’s Somerset House tomorrow.
René Gruau’s bold lines and fluid style was said to have been perfectly in tune with the spirit of Dior. He produced original illustrations of Dior perfumes, magazine sketches and haute couture designs.
The exhibition sheds light on the close friendship between Dior and Gruau as well as the influence the latter had on a whole generation of fashion illustrators.
Dior Illustrated: René Gruau and the Line of Beauty is at Somerset House from 10 November until 9 January 2011, somersethouse.org.uk
After giving gay film R-rating despite no sex or violencefilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians