Top 10 art auction record-breakers
Thursday 03 May 2012
A version of Edvard Munch's classic masterpiece The Scream has fetched a record-breaking $119.9 million (£74 million), making it the most expensive work of art to be sold at auction.
Here is a list of the 10 most expensive paintings to go under the hammer:
1. The Scream by Edvard Munch
Sold for $119.9 million (£74 million) at Sotheby's in New York in May 2012.
2. Nude, Green Leaves And Bust by Pablo Picasso
Sold for $106 million (£65.4 million) at Christie's in New York in May 2012.
3. Boy With A Pipe (The Young Apprentice) by Pablo Picasso
Sold for $104.1 million at Sotheby's in New York in May 2004.
4. Dora Maar Au Chat by Pablo Picasso
Sold for $95.2 million at Sotheby's in New York in May 2006.
5. Portrait Of Adele Bloch-Bauer II by Gustav Klimt
Sold for $87.9 million at Christie's in New York in November 2006.
6. Triptych, 1976 by Francis Bacon
Sold for $86.3 million at Sotheby's in New York in May 2008.
7. Portrait Of Dr Gachet by Vincent van Gogh
Sold for $82.5 million at Christie's in New York in May 1990.
8. Le Bassin Aux Nympheas by Claude Monet
Sold for $80.5 million at Christie's in London in June 2008.
9. Bal Du Moulin De La Galette by Pierre-Auguste Renoir
Sold for $78.1 million at Sotheby's in New York in May 1990.
10. Massacre Of The Innocents by Peter Paul Rubens
Sold for $76.7 million at Sotheby's in London in July 2002.
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark