Emin: loving and dying for her art
Tracey Emin has said: "When I'm not making art, I feel like I'm dying," as her first big London retrospective, Tracey Emin: Love is What You Want, opens at the Hayward Gallery tomorrow until 29 August.
"I suffer from creative blocks, terrible, and when I'm not making art, I feel like I'm dying... I can't live, I can't breathe," Emin tells SkyArts In Confidence, broadcast on Thursday. "If I'm not making art I'm not who I'm supposed to be."
The exhibition contains new outdoor sculptures Mother, Father, Children, and new neon work Love is What You Want. Of her critics she says: "Don't they understand if they take the piss out the way I talk or the piss out of the way I look or whatever, don't they understand how wrong they are?"
Tracey Emin: My Life in a Column, a collection of her 2005-09 Independent columns, is published today.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl performs with broken leg seated on massive throne made of guitars
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget