Fright at the museum as strike halts £17m unveiling
Saturday 22 October 2011
The grand re-opening of the world's finest collection of Impressionist paintings has been blocked by striking staff at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris.
Talks were under way yesterday to try to rescue a two-day free opening of the museum this weekend after a two-year renovation costing €20m (£17m). This included reconstructing the galleries housing the French state collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist art. The Prime Minister, François Fillon, inaugurated the new galleries on 12 October.
The museum, converted from a railway station on the Left Bank of the Seine in 1986, had planned to publicly unveil the long-awaited new home for the Impressionist collection on Thursday. Three staff unions blocked the re-opening, and were again on strike yesterday, to protest against a planned 10 per cent cut in jobs.
There were fears yesterday that the Musée d'Orsay would stay closed this weekend, despite parts of it having remained open throughout the reconstruction.
The project "Revoir Orsay" is the first major renovation of the museum since it opened. The space allocated to the Impressionists on the fifth floor had previously been criticised for being cramped and dark.
The museum's total exhibition space has been expanded by 2,000sq metres, allowing works to be displayed that had previously been kept in storage. The Orsay's directors hope to increase the annual number of visitors from three million to four million.
Frédéric Sorbier, secretary of the CGT-Culture union, told The Independent that the strikes were partly over security fears. "The management are increasing visitor numbers and reducing the number of staff," Mr Sorbier said. "It will not be possible to maintain levels of security and the visitor's experience will suffer."
The museum's Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection, including some of the best-known works by Eduard Manet, Claude Monet and Paul Cézanne, had been on temporary display on the ground floor.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 San Francisco TV news crew attacked by armed robbers during live broadcast
- 4 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
- 5 Miami defendant sobs in court as he realises he and the judge attended the same school
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
The Crystal Maze: Richard O’Brien confirmed to return as more details revealed about show's rebooted format
Guillaume Tell's gang-rape scene caused uproar at the Royal Opera House – but the portrayal of extreme sex and violence on stage is nothing new
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture