Pensioners' £100 art buy nets fortune
A pensioner couple who bought a Victorian oil painting for less than £100 were said to be "amazed and delighted" yesterday when it sold at auction for £185,000.
The bustling landscape of Salthouse Dock in Liverpool, by John Atkinson Grimshaw, has been owned by the anonymous Northumberland couple for 50 years since they bought it from a dealer in London's Burlington Arcade.
Leeds-born Grimshaw painted it in 1892 and it has hung on the wall of the owners' home, gaining in value as his collectability increased. It sold at the Alnwick salerooms of Jim Railton for £185,000.
Mr Railton said the oil on canvas had been estimated to fetch between £100,000 and £150,000. "Such paintings rarely come on to the market and the atmosphere in the saleroom was electric."
TVEnough to make ardent arachnophobes think twice
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 3 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
- 4 North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'
- 5 Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Halloween 2014: The scariest movies to watch on Netflix
Spider House, BBC4 - review: Enough to make ardent arachnophobes think twice
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Nigel Farage and Frankie Boyle clash over Andrew Lawrence's 'Mock the Week' criticism