Pensioners' £100 art buy nets fortune
A pensioner couple who bought a Victorian oil painting for less than £100 were said to be "amazed and delighted" yesterday when it sold at auction for £185,000.
The bustling landscape of Salthouse Dock in Liverpool, by John Atkinson Grimshaw, has been owned by the anonymous Northumberland couple for 50 years since they bought it from a dealer in London's Burlington Arcade.
Leeds-born Grimshaw painted it in 1892 and it has hung on the wall of the owners' home, gaining in value as his collectability increased. It sold at the Alnwick salerooms of Jim Railton for £185,000.
Mr Railton said the oil on canvas had been estimated to fetch between £100,000 and £150,000. "Such paintings rarely come on to the market and the atmosphere in the saleroom was electric."
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes