Cover Stories: Restrained memoirs; Dylanfest; Alan Bennett
Friday 29 July 2005
* Martin Scorsese's Bob Dylan biopic, No Direction Home, is only one element in an autumn Dylanfest that includes the paperback of Chronicles 1 and The Bob Dylan Scrapbook. Covering the decade from 1956 to 1966, the latter book will include handwritten lyrics, flyers and reviews, and will be supported by an exhibition at London's Proud Galleries. There's also a new CD in the Bootleg series, and a Dylan tribute concert at the Barbican. Dylan's publisher Simon & Schuster has hired London buskers to work their way through Dylan's catalogue on 24 September, publication day. The man himself arrives in November.
* Alan Bennett has broken his silence ahead of this autumn's miscellany, Untold Stories. He told Publishing News about the irony of Tony Blair's obsession with his place in history even though the PM, like his government, has only the flimsiest grasp of it. He is also highly critical of a once-quality Sunday newspaper for turning a public Q&A session into an interview in which Bennett admitted to "writer's block". "I never use the phrase. I don't think of it as writer's block. You just look out the window a bit more."
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
Friends 20th anniversary: The highs and lows of the cast's careers since 2004
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes