One minute with: Conn Iggulden, historical novelist
Friday 18 October 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
In my office at home, facing blue skies I can't see because of a huge computer screen. It's possible there is a metaphor in there, somewhere.
What are you currently reading?
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It was second to one of mine in the Book of Year competition in 2007. It's about time I read it. So far, little sex and adventure.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire him/her
George McDonald Fraser, because his character of Flashman is wonderful: history, adventure, humour and roguishness.
Describe the room where you write
An attic with books on floor-to-ceiling shelves, two computers (both with huge screens), two comfortable chairs and one very uncomfortable one. There are ashtrays and coffee cups everywhere.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
As much as I'd like to say Flashman, it's probably Horatio Hornblower, a man never certain of his own abilities.
Who is your hero/ heroine from outside literature?
I admire skills I don't have on the whole, so the explorer Richard Burton, or the military genius Clive of India.
Conn Iggulden's new novel is 'Stormbird' (Michael Joseph)
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >