One minute with: David Vann, novelist
Friday 11 October 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
I'm staying in Château Chesnier... in the Loire Valley, sitting on the back steps looking at the garden on a beautiful sunny day.
What are you currently reading?
Paul Harding's 'Enon'. I loved his first novel, 'Tinkers'. We're about the same age, and I think of all the writers our age, he writes the most beautiful sentences; Latinate and generous.
Choose a favourite author, and say why you admire her/him
I admire Annie Proulx because each of her books is written in a different style to match the content. She's a master stylist, a rover of language as well as landscape and culture.
Describe the room where you usually write
I write every morning for an hour and a half. It doesn't matter in which hotel or boat or house or... part of the world.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
I'm a bit of everyone in my books, both the male and female characters.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
No one, really. It's hard to care about anyone outside literature. Think back 2000 years. Who do we know from then? Seneca, because he wrote... everyone else from then is fairy tale.
David Vann's new novel is 'Goat Mountain' (Heinemann)
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park