One Minute With: Erin Kelly, novelist
Friday 25 January 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
I'm on the 263 bus on Holloway Road. If I smear a porthole in the window I can see the Odeon.
What are you currently reading?
'Heretics' by Will Storr. It's a collection of essays about, and interviews with, science-deniers. The more novels I write, the more non-fiction I want to read.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire her/him
I like any writer who marries strong narrative with high style, like William Boyd, Maggie O'Farrell and Lesley Glaister.
Describe the room where you usually write
It's a cliché, but a converted attic in North London. It's got dusty bookshelves, cheeseplants, an oriental rug, the lot.
Which fictional character most resmbles you?
I don't know about resemble, but I always identify with an awkward teenage girl: Zora from Zadie Smith's 'On Beauty' is a favourite.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
Ina May Gaskin, author of 'Spiritual Midwifery' and natural birth pioneer.
Erin Kelly's new novel of psychological suspense is 'The Burning Air' (Hodder & Stoughton, £16.99)
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >