One Minute With: Erin Kelly, novelist
Friday 25 January 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
I'm on the 263 bus on Holloway Road. If I smear a porthole in the window I can see the Odeon.
What are you currently reading?
'Heretics' by Will Storr. It's a collection of essays about, and interviews with, science-deniers. The more novels I write, the more non-fiction I want to read.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire her/him
I like any writer who marries strong narrative with high style, like William Boyd, Maggie O'Farrell and Lesley Glaister.
Describe the room where you usually write
It's a cliché, but a converted attic in North London. It's got dusty bookshelves, cheeseplants, an oriental rug, the lot.
Which fictional character most resmbles you?
I don't know about resemble, but I always identify with an awkward teenage girl: Zora from Zadie Smith's 'On Beauty' is a favourite.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?
Ina May Gaskin, author of 'Spiritual Midwifery' and natural birth pioneer.
Erin Kelly's new novel of psychological suspense is 'The Burning Air' (Hodder & Stoughton, £16.99)
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations