One Minute With: Susie Boyt, novelist
Friday 28 June 2013
Where are you now and what can you see?
I am in a café in Chalk Farm where I sometimes work which shares its premises with a legal practice... I can see men going in and out of William Hill's looking forlorn... Derek Jacobi's housekeeper is in the café buying croissants.
What are you currently reading?
The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton, and Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.
Choose a favourite author and say why you admire him/her
Jean Stafford. She writes about nervous emergencies, collapses and convalescence, with great liveliness and irony. Her prose has a brimming quality but it is also quite strict and tart.
Where do you usually write?
In a small room full of junk with a green carpet and orange stripy curtains, looking out over London.
Which fictional character most resembles you?
A mixture of Anne Elliot from Persuasion and George Harvey Bone from Hangover Square and maybe 5 per cent Miss Piggy.
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature
Sigmund Freud, my Mum, Henry James, Judy Garland, Jesus – not that any of these are really outside literature.
Susie Boyt's 'The Small Hours' is published in paperback by Virago
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict