The 10 Best new biographies
From Banksy and Putin to two men who ran across America
Tuesday 15 May 2012
1. Night Thoughts by Robert Fraser
Colourful biography of the English surrealist poet David Gascoyne. Fabulous.
2. The Baroness by Hannah Rothschild
The author's free-spirited great aunt left her life of fusty balls, Bentleys and stately homes for the 1950s New York Jazz scene.
3. Simon Cowell by Tom Bower
From failed music exec to global pop behemoth. Not high art, but juicy as a pear and interesting.
4. Banksy: Man Behind The Wall by Will Ellsworth-Jones
Charting the move from spray-can-wielding teen tagging his youth club, to global art star.
5. Hitler: A Short Biography by AN Wilson
Despite some controversy stoked by a Cambridge Hitler expert, this is highly readable.
6. Putin: The Man Without A Face by Masha Gessen
A brave book documenting Putin's corruption, and goes some way to explaining Russia's liberal turn.
7. Diamond Queen by Andrew Marr
Worth a read, even if just for the amusing anecdotes, which bring out the inner nosy parker in us all.
8. Wilkie Collins by Peter Ackroyd
Victorian author of sensational fiction and detective stories and a bosom buddy of Charles Dickens.
9. Running For Their Lives by Mark Whitaker
In 1928 two men ran across America in 80 days. An extraordinary tale.
10. A Card From Angela Carter by Susannah Clapp
A luminous picture of her friend and correspondent, this is an intimate, funny, ribald book.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
musicPolice chief rejects rappers' claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
healthJames Bond's alcohol consumption puts him at 'high risk' of cirrhosis, tremors... and impotence
Arts & Ents blogs
Jack Whitehall crowned king of British Comedy Awards
American Psycho , theatre review: Matt Smith regenerates as ripped uber-narcissist
MasterChef: The Professionals 2013 - Steven Edwards, Adam Handling and Scott Davies are the final three
MasterChef: The Professionals 2013 - Steven Edwards crowned winner
Kanye West is as 'misguided as they come': Ohio police chief rejects rapper's claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
- 1 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 2 Italian court annuls prison sentence for elderly paedophile after 11-year-old victim tells investigators in Catanzaro that she loves him
- 3 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- < Previous
- Next >