The top ten Douglas Adams sayings
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 08 September 2013
Everyone knows that 42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.
But Douglas Adams gave us many more memorable sayings, in the ‘Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’ series, ‘Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’ and even in scripts for ‘Doctor Who’. Here are 10 of the best.
1. On asking for directions: “My own strategy is to find a car… which looks as if it knows where it’s going and follow it.”
2. “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
3. “If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.”
4. “He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”
5. “Ford! There’s an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they’ve worked out.”
6. “The seat received him in a loose and distant kind of way, like an aunt who disapproves of the last 15 years of your life.”
7. “Blackness swims toward you like a school of eels who have just seen something that eels like a lot.”
8. “A learning experience is one of those things that say, ‘You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.’”
9. “‘Life,’ said Marvin dolefully, ‘loathe it or ignore it, you can’t like it.’”
10. “Clixby (adj.): Politely rude. Briskly vague. Firmly uninformative.” (From The Meaning of Liff, co-written with John Lloyd.)
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'