The top ten Douglas Adams sayings
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 08 September 2013
Everyone knows that 42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.
But Douglas Adams gave us many more memorable sayings, in the ‘Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’ series, ‘Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’ and even in scripts for ‘Doctor Who’. Here are 10 of the best.
1. On asking for directions: “My own strategy is to find a car… which looks as if it knows where it’s going and follow it.”
2. “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
3. “If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.”
4. “He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”
5. “Ford! There’s an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they’ve worked out.”
6. “The seat received him in a loose and distant kind of way, like an aunt who disapproves of the last 15 years of your life.”
7. “Blackness swims toward you like a school of eels who have just seen something that eels like a lot.”
8. “A learning experience is one of those things that say, ‘You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.’”
9. “‘Life,’ said Marvin dolefully, ‘loathe it or ignore it, you can’t like it.’”
10. “Clixby (adj.): Politely rude. Briskly vague. Firmly uninformative.” (From The Meaning of Liff, co-written with John Lloyd.)
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
comedy Erm...he seems to be back
tvReview: No ho-ho-hos with Nick Frost's badass Santa
tv Gymnast Louis Smith triumphed in the Christmas special
Film The critics but sneer but these unfashionable festive films are our favourites
TV We're so close to knowing what happened to Oliver Hughes, but a last-minute bluff crushes expectations
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
- 5 Magna Carta will be 800 years old next year – the perfect reminder of the rights and freedoms we must hold dear
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2014, review: Love is everywhere, actually
The Boy in the Dress, TV review: David Walliams' Boxing Day treat is a celebration of being different
Vagina canoe artist defends herself over ‘obscenity’ charges
The Interview film review: Controversial gross-out satire is broad, bawdy and bad - but undeniably entertaining
Doctor Who Christmas special, review: No ho-ho-hos with Nick Frost's badass Santa
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever