Aurum £16.99 (391pp) (free p&p) from 0870 079 8897
Conversations With Woody Allen, by Eric Lax
Friday 17 October 2008
Perhaps the most revealing book ever written about a living film director, this enthralling dialogue spans 36 years. Allen shows immaculate taste in picking out the best of his own films: "Manhattan Murder Mystery is a picture I like very much... I think Match Point came off... Purple Rose of Cairo, Bullets over Broadway." On the other hand, he insists, "The way people latched onto Manhattan was irrational... I've done better pictures than Annie Hall." Allen expresses astonishment that his film Hollywood Ending, never released in this country, "was not thought of as a first-rate comedy". This reviewer agrees. It is hilarious.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'