Aurum £16.99 (391pp) (free p&p) from 0870 079 8897
Conversations With Woody Allen, by Eric Lax
Friday 17 October 2008
Perhaps the most revealing book ever written about a living film director, this enthralling dialogue spans 36 years. Allen shows immaculate taste in picking out the best of his own films: "Manhattan Murder Mystery is a picture I like very much... I think Match Point came off... Purple Rose of Cairo, Bullets over Broadway." On the other hand, he insists, "The way people latched onto Manhattan was irrational... I've done better pictures than Annie Hall." Allen expresses astonishment that his film Hollywood Ending, never released in this country, "was not thought of as a first-rate comedy". This reviewer agrees. It is hilarious.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women