Keeping Up with the Germans, By Philip Oltermann
Entertaining and occasionally startling, this personal view by a transplanted German explores the reasons for the differences between two very similar countries.
We might envy their toilets' "mighty roar of a rocket launcher", but not the "ruthless efficiency" of the Baader-Meinhof Group (47 dead compared to "one person slightly injured" by the Angry Brigade).
Moving here in 1996, Otterman adopted the irony that is "part of the broader English mindset" until "it dawned on me that you can't keep living in quotation marks for ever." You can take the boy out of Schleswig-Holstein…
There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turningTV
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God