Sceptre £8.99 (344pp) from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
Peter Pan's First XI, By Kevin Telfer
Friday 29 April 2011
If Nigel Molesworth had been more literary-minded, he might have selected the cricket team pictured here, including EV Hornung (of Raffles fame), PG Wodehouse, Arthur Conan Doyle and AEW Mason (of The Four Feathers).
The unlikely captain of the Allahakbarries was JM Barrie, described as "a weedy fellow a little over five feet tall". Yet what he lacked in stature, Barrie made up in cricketing spirit.
According to the genial Telfer, he revelled in the "playful nature of the enterprise", not surprised to discover that a new team member did not know which side of the bat was used to hit the ball.
But the lacksadaisical squad was more formidable than might appear. Conan Doyle skittled WG Grace, while literary merit did not keep JK Jerome in the team.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >