Seen behind the Scene, By Mary Ellen Mark: Book review
These glorious black-and-white spreads from 40 years of photographing on set undermine Godard's "Photography is truth. Cinema is truth 24 times a second."
Shots of an inspired Buñuel do not convey the dreariness of the result (Tristana) while some of the most striking images come from instantly forgotten films.
We're reminded of Johnny Depp at his photogenic zenith in Sleepy Hollow and an ailing Laurence Olivier in Marathon Man.
The haunted look of Sheen and Brando during Apocalypse Now speaks of serious weirdness.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Top 20 films that make you feel good
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
19 British bands signed to indie labels are getting government grants to help them make it big abroad
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll