Wallflower £24.99 (186pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
The Art of Film, By Ian Christie
Friday 02 October 2009
Though John Box may be unfamiliar, he was responsible for one of the most memorable scenes in British cinema. The slow, ominous approach of Omar Sharif in Lawrence of Arabia was largely his creation. So was the memorable sequence in Man for All Seasons of changing seasons viewed from a Tower of London cell.
From Our Man in Havana (1959) to A Passage to India (1984), Box was a maestro of film production design. Ian Christie reveals that his contribution went far beyond sets. Box was responsible for the deadly game in Rollerball (1975) and took the decision to build a fake Aqaba in Spain for Lawrence, much to the disgust of producer Sam Speigel.
For The Great Gatsby (1974), he created Wilson's Garage (based on a Hopper painting) and its seedy Long Island setting on the Pinewood lot. Box's addition of black smoke "banishes any thought of Buckinghamshire", Christie notes.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head