Faber & Faber, £17.99
The Last Pre-Raphaelite, By Fiona MacCarthy
Acclaimed for its brilliant depiction of Edward Burne-Jones within his rocky marriage, among Pre-Raphaelite colleagues and in Victorian society, this enjoyable biography has been issued as a paperback of rare quality.
The book's vivacity and splendid illustrations are on a scale appropriate to this restless, multi-faceted genius.
Irresistibly drawn to the "stunners" that he endowed with such potent sexuality and vacillating in his friendships, Burne-Jones's personality did not match his prodigious talent, which ranged from epic canvases to humorous cartoons and shoe design.
tv Review: Miranda Hart and co deliver the festive goods
tvReview: Older generation get hot under the collar this Christmas
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 2 Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
- 3 Sussex couple die in suspected Christmas Day 'suicide pact'
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 The Unluckiest People of the Year 2014 (and one very unlucky giraffe)
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'