Faber & Faber, £17.99
The Last Pre-Raphaelite, By Fiona MacCarthy
Acclaimed for its brilliant depiction of Edward Burne-Jones within his rocky marriage, among Pre-Raphaelite colleagues and in Victorian society, this enjoyable biography has been issued as a paperback of rare quality.
The book's vivacity and splendid illustrations are on a scale appropriate to this restless, multi-faceted genius.
Irresistibly drawn to the "stunners" that he endowed with such potent sexuality and vacillating in his friendships, Burne-Jones's personality did not match his prodigious talent, which ranged from epic canvases to humorous cartoons and shoe design.
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year