Oxford £9.99 (419pp) (free p&p) from the Independent Bookshop : 08430 600 030
The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing, Edited by Richard Dawkins
Friday 02 October 2009
Reviewing Dawkins's latest offering The Greatest Show on Earth in this paper, Marek Kohn noted how the academic bruiser was also "fired with the need to explain and inspire": "If Dawkins carries on in this way, he'll be hailed as a national treasure yet."
Further evidence of the humane didacticism of Darwin's most tenacious champion comes in this engaging selection. Though Dawkins's belligerent certainty alienates many, he includes a view from Carl Sagan: "We will always be mired in error.
The most each generation can hope for is to move the error bars a little." If some inclusions bristle with the equations that are the language of science, others act as easily negotiable foothills to these mathematical crags.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Our fascination with the Arctic from Greek myths to Sky Atlantic's new drama Fortitude
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures