Verso £12.99 (366pp) £11.69 from the Independent Bookshop: 08430 600 030
The Verso Book of Dissent, Edited by Andrew Hsiao and Audrea Lim
Friday 07 January 2011
This radical haul contains stinging assertions from Sappho to Chomsky, ("Propaganda is to democracy what a bludgeon is to a totalitarian state"), from Thoreau to Pinter.
The New York-based editors have achieved an impressive internationalism. It is good to be reminded that "Britain is now being bombed and burned into democracy" from JB Priestly [sic], though it would have been even better if the editors had got his name right.
It is interesting to speculate that if the Ranters, whose 1650 Christmas Carol declared, "They prate of God; believe it, fellow-creatures, there's no such bugbear; all was made by Nature", had moved to America, it might have been a very different country.
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track