I don't: Kristen Wiig quashes hopes of a Bridesmaids sequel
Actress Kristen Wiig has turned down a lucrative offer to return in Bridesmaids 2. Good for her, says Simon Usborne
Hang up your hats, can the confetti, and call off the hen do. There will be no sequel to the hit comedy Bridesmaids after its co-creator and star defied industry convention to say no to a lucrative part two. Kristen Wiig told Harper’s Bazaar that it had not been difficult for her and her co-writer, Annie Mumolo, to turn down an invitation to revisit the disparate lives of women brought together by a wedding.
“We would have made a lot of money if there was a second one,” the former Saturday Night Live comedian-turned-actress said, “but that’s not my goal in my creative life.” The 2011 film’s director Paul Feig had earlier expressed an interest in a sequel but conceded the would-be franchise was Wiig’s “baby”. And she said one was always going to be enough. “We knew during the first one, this was it,” she added.
Wiig can afford to pick her projects and protect her artistic integrity, thanks in part to the triumph of Bridesmaids (it took almost £200m at the box office worldwide, and scored with critics, too) but her snub is refreshing in a Hollywood increasingly obsessed with the familiar and the franchised.
This summer is, as ever, dominated by derivative blockbusters including box office No 1, Man of Steel. Fast & Furious 6, Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness have also banked on repeat success this year.
Their appeal to studios is clear. The Hangover Part III lacks the laughs of the original, a sort-of brother movie to Bridesmaids, yet after five weeks it’s still at No 5 in the UK chart.
Charles Gant, the film editor at Heat magazine, says, sadly, that originality can be dangerous.
“The only big original summer movie is Another Earth with Will Smith, which has flopped. If it had been based on something more familiar, like one of his other hits, it would have been less risky,” he says.
Follow-ups can be great films in their own right. Before Midnight has been well-received this summer. An Empire ranking of sequels last year, meanwhile, put Aliens at No 1, ahead of The Godfather Part II, Terminator 2, Toy Story 2 and The Dark Knight. But in all of the above titles, the top acting talent returned.
There are precedents for Wiig’s “no, thank you”. Keanu Reeves and Jodie Foster have both turned down roles in sequels on creative grounds, only to be replaced in films that weren’t half as good as the originals (Jason Patric took over in Speed 2, while Julianne Moore replaced Foster in Hannibal).
Wiig and her Bridesmaid character, Annie, will suffer no such indignity.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Jessica Chastain demands Scarlett Johansson-fronted Marvel superhero movie
Downton Abbey series 5 start date revealed: ITV drama to return in late September
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming in September 2014
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain