Despicable Me 2 named the top-grossing film of 2013 at the UK box office
The Universal Pictures animated movie beat Les Miserables and Iron Man 3
3D animated comedy Despicable Me 2 has been named the top-grossing film at the UK and Ireland box office for 2013 after taking £47.4 million.
The Universal Pictures movie beat competition from the silver screen adaptation of Les Misérables and superhero blockbuster Iron Man 3 to take the number one spot.
Starring Hugh Jackman and Oscar-winning Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables made £40.7 million in the UK last year, while the Marvel Comics’ film grossed £36.9 million.
In fourth place was another sequel, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, with £34.1 million in 2013 and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was fifth with £32.5 million in takings.
Total UK box office revenue reached £1,167,036,502 - a decreased of one percent from 2012 and the most significant year-on-year decline since records began in 1991.
At the 2013 global box office, Iron Man 3 reigned supreme, with takings of more than $1.2 billion worldwide. UK favourite Despicable Me 2 was in second place internationally, grossing $918.6 million.
US rapper Pharrell Williams took the last UK number one single of 2013 with his song “Happy”, featured on the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack.
The top-grossing films of 2013 at the UK box office
1. Despicable Me 2 - £47.4m
2. Les Misérables - £40.7m
3. Iron Man 3 - £36.9m
4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - £34.1m
5. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - £32.5m
6. Monsters University - £30.6m
7. Man of Steel - £29.9m
8. Frozen - £27.9m
9. Gravity - £27.4m
10. The Croods - £26.7m
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >