Despicable Me 2 named the top-grossing film of 2013 at the UK box office
The Universal Pictures animated movie beat Les Miserables and Iron Man 3
3D animated comedy Despicable Me 2 has been named the top-grossing film at the UK and Ireland box office for 2013 after taking £47.4 million.
The Universal Pictures movie beat competition from the silver screen adaptation of Les Misérables and superhero blockbuster Iron Man 3 to take the number one spot.
Starring Hugh Jackman and Oscar-winning Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables made £40.7 million in the UK last year, while the Marvel Comics’ film grossed £36.9 million.
In fourth place was another sequel, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, with £34.1 million in 2013 and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was fifth with £32.5 million in takings.
Total UK box office revenue reached £1,167,036,502 - a decreased of one percent from 2012 and the most significant year-on-year decline since records began in 1991.
At the 2013 global box office, Iron Man 3 reigned supreme, with takings of more than $1.2 billion worldwide. UK favourite Despicable Me 2 was in second place internationally, grossing $918.6 million.
US rapper Pharrell Williams took the last UK number one single of 2013 with his song “Happy”, featured on the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack.
The top-grossing films of 2013 at the UK box office
1. Despicable Me 2 - £47.4m
2. Les Misérables - £40.7m
3. Iron Man 3 - £36.9m
4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - £34.1m
5. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - £32.5m
6. Monsters University - £30.6m
7. Man of Steel - £29.9m
8. Frozen - £27.9m
9. Gravity - £27.4m
10. The Croods - £26.7m
Glastonbury Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will perform with Paul Weller as their warm-up act
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP