Vintage glamour photographs: A glimpse of old Hollywood goes up for sale
Wednesday 13 January 2010
A slice of old Hollywood is up for grabs as a multi-million dollar collection of original glamour photography is put up for sale.
An iconic Vanity Fair portrait of Jean Harlow lounging on a bearskin rug is among the tens of thousands of pieces in the Michael H. Epstein and Scott E. Schwimer collection, set to hit the auction block on March 25 2010.
The auction catalogue reads like a who’s who of old Hollywood with the photographic lots including stars such as Clark Gable, Veronica Lake, Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo captured in the evocative sepia tones of the day.
“It’s time for Scott and me to share the fruits of our 25-year collection with the rest of the world,” collector Epstein remarked.
“I am certain that Scott and I will be back collecting once the auction is over.”
Master prints of works by Man Ray, Cindy Sherman, Helmut Newton and Richard Avedon will also be available at the auction, hosted by California-based house Profiles in History.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures