Cultural Life: Jazzie B, Musician and DJ/Producer
Saturday 16 June 2012
I've been listening to Chancellor [also drummer with Soul II Soul] and Joseph Macwan – an Asian kid out of Leicester. He's doing this whole reggae-led thing with his band Out of Karma. He's very influenced by Bob Marley. I'm really intrigued because there's something quite unusual about him, so I'm championing his music.
I saw Marley. I'm a big fan of Bob Marley. There are so many different movies made about him but I found this one to be a little bit more emotional. It showed another side to him, a human side and I really enjoyed it.
I'm reading Gil Scott Heron's autobigraphy The Last Holiday. I'm a little bit of a fan of old Gil so with the connections with the West Indies and enjoying football, I found lots of things to relate to.
I went to see Goldie's work at London's Red Bull Studios. It has loads of Afro imagery in it. I remember sending him details from different books to look into for that so that was good. I really like the artist Barry Bish, who recently had an exhibition in London. I like his paintings and I have a lot of his work. They are quite intricate and some of them are quite big, with plenty of colour.
Jazzie B curates the 'Back 2 Life' residency at Electric Brixton, London SW2, which opens on 22 June with a performance by Soul II Soul (featuring Jazzie B and Caron Wheeler) and very special guests Loose Ends
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell