Exclusive album stream: Dinosaur Jr, I Bet On Sky
Thursday 13 September 2012
For nearly 30 years Dinosaur Jr have been effect-pedalling their way through the ear drums of alt-rock, barely deviating from their unique sound.
Omnipresent frontman J Mascis has carved an instantly identifiable Jazzmaster distorto-fuzz which has become synonymous with the DNA of alternative rock.
Their tenth album I Bet On Sky, continues the seam mined by singles "Freak Scene" and "Feel The Pain" - being ferociously melodic and catchy as hell.
However, just like the hue of Mascis’ hair, Dinosaur Jr have mellowed, by realising a powerful groove is just as intense as a turning up the amplifiers, particularly with ‘Watch The Corners’.
Lou Barlow’s bass is poppy and driving, and much more akin to his Sebadoh style, while Murph’s drumming is mature and hypnotic.
I Bet On Sky is released September 18 through Jagjaguwar/PIAS
Arts & Ents blogs
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson