Folk festival of the week: Celtic Connections, various venues, Glasgow
Saturday 12 January 2013
Celtic Connections has built its reputation over 20 years as one of the great folk and roots festivals any time, anywhere.
For those heading to Glasgow between Thursday and 3 February, there's a huge choice of music to choose from, embracing the best of Scottish, Irish, European, American and Canadian roots and traditional music.
Spotlight England showcases six English folk artists, including Sam Carter, Lucy Ward, Bella Hardy and Bellowhead, to demonstrate English's folk's strength and vitality amid the richness of the Celtic traditions.
Highlights are too numerous to mention, but from Bulgarian choirs to Saharan soul, from newcomers like Sam Lee or Sarah Jarosz to veterans such as Battlefield Band or Mulatu Astatke, and with specialist workshops, the BBC Folk Awards concert and Transatlantic Sessions to sink into, Glasgow is the place to be to bathe in a great big sea of sound.
(0141 353 8000; celticconnections.com) Thur to 3 Feb
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >